Thursday, August 13, 2009

Refreshing Ginger Lemonade


I had a little bit of ginger that was about to go bad, as well as a few lemons so I made up this tasty little refreshment yesterday. I love the spicy taste of fresh ginger and it is great for stomach aches too (trust me, it is the only thing that got me through food poisoning last year). So here's what I did: Peel and slice up one or two stalks (would we call them stalks?) of ginger depending on how spicy you want your lemonade. Put them in a pot with a bit of water and bring to a boil. Once the water boils you can bring it down to a simmer for a few minutes or until you've got enough of the essence from the ginger in the water. Juice two or three lemons into a pitcher and add the hot ginger water. Be sure to use a strainer so you don't have pieces of ginger in your lemonade. Add agave nectar (or sugar if you prefer) until it is just sweet enough for your liking. I had to add a bunch of water to mine because it was very strong, sour, and potent. You just have to play around with it until it suits your fancy. Then chill the pitcher. A great summertime twist on plain old lemonade! Next I plan to try a lavender mint lemonade or maybe even a strawberry basil lemonade. We'll see!

No comments: