Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Vegan Ruben

I am not vegan, in fact, I'm not even a vegetarian. But I could easily be as I rarely eat meat... I just don't want to limit myself to anything or be that one guest who comes over for a dinner party and won't even eat the main course (tisk tisk terrible manners). Not to mention I love steak, and burgers, and wings, and lamb, and pork, etc... anyways. I am also an avid Ruben eater. They are definitely my favorite sandwich. Lately, I've been spending too much money at my little coffee shop on their Vegan Rubens which are amazing. So I decided to recreate them at home from now on. Here's how I did it...

1. Toast some bread - Rye would be the first choice although I just used multigrain
2. Cook up some Tempeh or Smart Bacon in a pan
3. Cook up some tofu in a pan
4. Add Sour Kraut which you can get at a deli/store for like a dollar. I throw mine in the pan too so that it isn't cold when I top my sammy with it.
5. Add Russian Dressing and Swiss for a Vegetarian Ruben or nix the cheese for Vegan. The coffee shop by me uses spicy brown mustard instead of Russian dressing and I like it better as well.
6. Feast! It is soo good!

No comments: